Monday, May 4, 2009

My Rheumatoid Arthritis

4th May 09

My Rheumatoid Arthritis

I have Rheumatoid Arthritis, RA. If you wish to know more about RA then please visit http://www.rheumatoid.org.uk/

What effect does this have on my life and my ability to compleat this challenge? Non

I have been totally power wheelchair dependent for 20 years and totally human dependent for 15 of those years.

So what does this mean? First and foremost I cannot not wash, clean my teeth, dress myself, feed, or generally use my hands and arms to any extent except drive my power chair and use my computer. I have a Possum to do things such as switch on the TV, Lights and answer the telephone. I cannot stand and have to be hoisted out of my chair.

On the challenge, all of my personal care will have to be given. I shall still have to be washed, got up, feed and watered. I shall still need care during the nights as I get now. All of this will happen on campsites and YHA’s. Not forgetting while out on the road I will need toileting, I can wee from my chair, i will also need feeding and watering, besides making sure that I am safe on the road. Now that takes a special team of people and I have such a team.

To keep my body in this excellent condition while on the challengemy power chair and cushion are play a vital part, step in 'Alex'.

So there you briefly have it, my condition. The best part is, I do not have any pressure sore due to good care over the years. Now that is amazing don’t you think?