Saturday, June 20, 2009

Everything Is In Place

20 June 2009

Everything is in place

It is now 1915 and I am playing catch up to tell you what has been happening.

Firstly, I can now say that this challenge is fully equipped with all its camping gear and all but three overnight stops are in place. My Fairtrade donated hamper has arrived, thank you for that. The contents have now been packed into to 85 lit plastic boxes, of which we have nine and are now slowly been packed with various items the boxes are numbered to identifie the tasks the contents will perform. 1. Our cooker 2. Our cooking stoves, BBQ, lighters, gas cylinders in another. 3. Fairtrade dry rations take up three. 4. Kitchen stuff takes up one, ect. I think you get the picture.

For sleeping on, I have bought good quality inflatable single beds.Everyone has been asked to bring their own sleeping bag. I have even thought of the tags to identify which belongs to whom.

For safe storage of food, we have cool bags. Two are electric and the other two are just cold bags. We are been very careful with our food hygiene, making sure that the meat and chicken keep away from each other and other foods. We shall be following health and hygiene rules to the last letter when it comes to preparing our food.

On Wednesday, we have our first team meeting. My local park has given us permission to put up our tents and to use this time as team building. We shall also try out using the hoist on the rubber mat that we have.

The pups are booked into kennels; the van is booked and paid for. Today I became a paid up member of the Lands End to John O’Groats Association http://www.landsend-johnogroats-assoc.com/ who are monitoring my challenge, see left-hand panel for their web site. All that now remains is to pull it all together and pack the vans.

This now means that for the next 4 weeks, well 3 weeks and 6 days, I am going to get as much training in as I can using my Alber Adventure. The most I can do is 20 miles per day as this is about the length of Albers batteries. I am hoping to have ‘Alex’ in two weeks time and then he and I can burn some real rubber together.

In the mean time, now that thanks to the support I have been getting from local people, I also have to fit in some fundraising for my chosen charity, ‘The Royal British Legion Poppy Appeal,’ so please will you now move over to my Bmycharity link and sponsor me.

Thank you.