Saturday, June 13, 2009

Alex & Me


12 June 2009

“Alex and Me”

At the heart of all this challenge is a guy called “Alex” you can visit his web site http://www.handicare.co.uk/handicare/pages/newspage____158284.aspx?epslanguage=ENhe

Alex is a normal sort of guy, he has the usual four wheels, his heart in his hand control, and I can snuggle up to him on his lap. He would like to do nothing more than to take me out for a nice ride in the country.

Alex and I have only met a couple of times, the first being on a blind date at Newcastle International Airport. I would not say it was love at first sight, I am not that sort of girl, I need a bit of time to get to know a guy, you know the sort of thing!

I well remember the first time I saw Alex; he was driving towards me at slow, and gentle speed with his friend called Mechanic. I was in my Alber Adventure, a trusted and tried friend. We said "Hi" and as we were there for a meeting, he went into the room with us. Not together I must add. Alex just sat quietly in the corner of the room

As our meeting was ending, it was time for Alex and me to get to know each other more intimately. It was then that I was hoisted onto Alex’s lap. Wow, that was a good feeling. I could feel his comfortable seat, a girls dream. His friend Mechanic, made a few adjustments to his wonderful armrests and made sure that my legs fitted securely onto his feet rests. “Enough” I said we want to be alone to get to know each other a bit more. The door was opened and Alex and I drove slowly at first, but then started to burn some rubber and together we drove into the airport, the others trying, but failing to keep up.

Alex and I were not together for very long on this first date. We did a few twirls on the open floor, had a few photos taken and ventured outside for a few moments to be alone having to return to the group for a sad parting. Alas Handicare, they made Alex, wanted to take him home and talk to him as man-to-man about him driving me all the way from Lands End to John O’Groats. – This is what the meeting was all about and they wanted Alex to be there as they planned that he might like to be the chosen power chair for the challenge. - They were to be frank with him, this was no romantic drive in the park or sitting in the back row of the cinema, no, this was the big adventure. Did he want to do it? The verdict I was to get at the NIDEX Show in Birmingham.

When I got to the NIDEX Show, I was a bit apprenticed. Was Alex going to do the End 2 End with me? Was he going to let me sit on his lap through the sun and rain? Was he going to be up to doing 40 miles a day and 1000 miles in all? Would he beable to do this when both of us wanted to call it a day knowing we had to carry on. Could he cope with the publicity, been in the lime light afterwards.

All these questions raised through my head as the train pulled in to Birmingham International.

With my heart raising, I made my way in my DHSS wheelchair, - Alber Adventure did not want to meet up with his rival again, so flatly refused to go with me, understandable -, to Handicare stand. Alex was there waiting for me. We were taken to a stand that sold hoists so I could be hoisted once again into Alex lap. Nothing had change. We still wanted to be together.

I had to ask Alex, “do you still want to take me all the way from one end of England to the other?” His answer was yes he did. If he had been able to do so, my disability stopped me, I would have hugged him there, right in front of thousands of people. I am just glad that Alber was not there. He would have turned on his wheels.

After spending, the day with Alex visiting various stands, drinking loads of coffee, we had to say good by, but this time knowing we will meet up again soon.

Yesterday I had an email from Eddie at Handicare who is a good friend of Alex. He told me that Alex is getting ready for our big day. Alex want to be at his best fitness, so is making sure that all his parts are in top shape and his new long distance batteries do not affect his performance on the road. Thanks Alex for that thought.

Alex and I will be meeting up again at the beginning of July to do some training runs. After the E2E we have been invited, with Eddie of Handicare, - remember they bought us together - and a couple of friends, to the House of Commons for lunch and a tour. What accolade is that?

Keep reading this blog to see how Alex and I fair in our new relationship and if at the end of the E2E our relationship lasts and my Alber decides there is not enough room in my heart, and my house, for two guys and leaves me.

Who will win my heart Alex or Alber? Only time will tell.
Copywrite Mary Laver