Friday, June 5, 2009

Local People Rally to My Support

Press Release
By Mary Laver 05 June 2009
Local People Rally to My Support


05 June 2009

Local people in Tyne & Wear are rallying to my support.

Local people, many whom I do not know, and friends, are rallying around me to support me in these hard times, to help make this once in a lifetime, End-to-End Challenge, in my ‘Alex’ power chair, happen.

They are doing this by giving cash – small and not so small - to my funds. They are doing this by holding events; giving food hampers – Due to my support for Faitrade, I have been given a very large Faitrade food hamper; their much needed prays; their love. All this, and much more, is to help me achieve my goal of raising money for the RBL Poppy Appeal.

Jenny Robinson, RBL, has pulled out all the stops, in her affords to help me. Jenny is doing this by asking local people to hold fund raising events. Jenny herself has organised a 60’s night, which happens to be on my 62nd Birthday, at our local Forest Hall RBL club.

I have applied to the ‘Guinness Book of Records’ to see if they will recognize this challenge as ‘1000 miles in a power chair.’ I await their verdict on this one.

The amount still needed, thanks for all the effort, is getting less by the minute. With all this help, I should raise enough money to do the E2E and at the same time prevent me going into a lot of personal debt, which I am very reluctant to do, or selling my Alber Adventure, which, thought I desperately do not want to do, I was prepared to do. Alex, as things stand, will have to be sold to help meet my expenses. I would, if possible, and if funds allow, I would like to give ‘Alex’, after a full service, and complete with is guarantee, to a disabled service person.

If all the plans for our fundraising come together, I may now, due to their generosity, besides paying all the bills and not getting into personal debt, I might just be able to pay for one more much needed carer. We had to drop a carer when one of the sponsors dropped out.

With all this love and support around me, when you live in such a community
who needs to watch neighbours?

To you all, a very sincere thank you.