Friday, June 27, 2008

Review Alber Adventure

27th June 08

Review
Alber Adventure
By Mary Laver
Friday, 27 June 2008

If you want a power wheelchair that is a thrill and a joy to drive no matter what speed you are going at, the Alber will go up to 8 mph. If you want a power chair that is comfortable to ride in even over carpet or rough ground. If you want a power wheelchair that stands out in the crowd, then the Alber Adventure Power Wheelchair should be on your list to try.

I have a dream and that is to drive a power wheelchair from Lands End to John O’Groats UK in 29 days. After looking at many power wheelchairs I was told by wheelchair experts, that for such an adventure I needed a power wheelchair that you could change the batteries without getting out of the chair; that I needed a power wheelchair chair that had good suspension, up to date technology in fault finding. I needed speed and endurance as I would need to cover 40 miles per day for 29 days with the odd rest day, to complete the task I had set myself; then there was only one chair to fill all of these requirements and more, that was and is, the Alber Adventure.

Without going into a very long drawn out story, Alber and I did make it to the starting line at Lands End, we did the first 40 miles of the 1000 with no problem. The terrain we covered varied from open main A roads, to footpaths. We drove down country lanes and up and down steep hills, the biggest obstacle we encounter were, in places no dropped kerbs and over grown footpaths. We changed the batteries twice, I drank from Drinkup Wheelchair Adaptor as I was driving along; and can say with hand on heart that that day was in my top ten ever days, even the sun shone and Cornwall was just beautiful. I will add, that in front of me to make sure I was at all times safe on the busy roads. Wendy Creed. Wendy along with 10 others is greatly involved with training and promoting road safety for cyclist in Cornwall. You can find out more about their work by visiting http://www.rsct.org.uk/ . Thanks Wendy for your help

Alber and I did not make day two, but as I have said, that is a long story, but I can say that Alber and I are going back to Lands End on the 31st May 09 and at 1000 hrs, if I can get a support team, we are going to try once again, and I am sure we will make it next time and get to John O’Groats.

My Alber Adventure was supplied by Gerald Simonds. http://www.gerald-simonds.co.uk/

If you want to contact me about the Alber or are interested in my next attempt at the E2E, then please email me at mailto:mary.laver.e2e@googlemail.cam I would love to hear from you.

Please keep an eye on this blog for more updates on my attempt in 2009

Mary