Saturday, May 23, 2009

10 k An Hour in My Alber Adventure


23 May 2009

10 k an hour in my Alber Adventure

I am using my Alber Adventure for training while I wait for ‘Alex’ to be delivered with its few extras. We are looking at me wearing a camcorder to record the whole venture.

Today my training on my local roads has started in earnest. I did 15 k’s today in 1 ½ hrs. On the E2E, I have to do 65 k minium per day for 6 days with 10 min stop every 1 hr and 1 hr stop for lunch, meaning I will be out doing the challenge for 9 hrs per day. It is strange been on the roads in my power chair, but I will have to face traffic on some, not all of the E2E this is the reason I am doing training in local traffic. On the E2E, where possible I will be using cycle paths and footpaths. I have found that after so much driving on the footpaths I now found that I have to concentrate a lot more on what is around me, the condition of the road and read the traffic as well as obeying traffic signals and signs. Me been on the road in Alber has turned quite a few heads and caused a few laughs.

When I am on the roads safety is my prime importance. I have a cycle orange flag flying high above the chair at the rear. My friend followed me, told me I was very easy to see, and congratulated me. I wear a Florissant jacket and orange cycle hat and good cycling gloves. I must take a photograph for you.

While driving along I am reading the road, just like when I drove my car, I am looking out for potholes in the road, other vehicles coming from every side of me, and the pedestrian crossing lights we have here in Forest Hall.

One thing I did notice was the more I drove the less body discomfort I felt. It was if my body was having a good shake down and settling in to the seat. My arm relaxed and I enjoyed the ride the more miles I did.

We still have a lot to do concerning the E2E before the off on the 18th July, the van is already booked and paid for; two campsites are booked and paid for. I have arranged a new credit card solely for the E2E, and my team are now coming forward, but you keep more fully up to date by reading all about it here on my blog...